Stanwood-Camano School District
Home-Hospital Service Procedures
1. Home/Hospital instruction is available to students who are temporarily unable to attend school for an estimated period of four weeks or more due to physical and/or mental disability or illness. The four-week minimum period of absences may occur over a block of time or intermittent. The amount of time the student may be absent from school is determined by a qualified medical practitioner, and must be stated on the form. H/H services are not provided during school vacations and will not exceed 18 weeks.
2. Parent notifies the school nurse or counselor that his/her child will be absent from school for a period of four weeks or more, based on doctor’s orders.
3. School contact person provides parent with the Request for Home/Hospital Services form to be completed by a qualified medical practitioner.
4. Parent or doctor must return a completed Request for Home/Hospital Services form to school contact.
5. Send completed Request for Home Hospital Services form to Director of Special Services for review. The Director will notify school contact of the recommendation.
6. If authorized, the school contact notifies the classroom teachers.
Providing H/H services is a
limited and temporary intervention designed to help students keep up with
critical subject coursework. It is not designed to deliver a full week of
instruction at home or in the hospital. Many subjects cannot feasibly be
tutored such as vocational classes, electives and performance based classes.
Each classroom teacher will decide which assignments/content be completed at
home or in the hospital.
If you require assistance or have questions, please contact the Special Services Department at 360-629-1236.